Want 7 ways to feel happier right now?
We can all get into that rut. You just want a minute, your snappy and just over it. Your mood is down in the dumps and you need to rid that negative energy! This time of year is especially hard with so much going on and to organise.
So what can you do to boost your mood now!?
1. FOOD The following foods contain high levels of serotonin. Serotonin is the chemical in the body that is responsible for our mood. It’s often referred to as the HAPPY HORMONE. By increasing your serotonin levels it can lift your mood! Try adding these serotonin boosting foods to your diet! Eggs, cheese, pineapple, dark chocolate, nuts/seeds, salmon, tofu and turkey.
2. EXERCISE, Exercise decreases the body’s levels of cortisol and adrenaline (which are responsible for making us feel stressed). It also stimulates the production of endorphins in the brain that are the body’s natural painkillers and mood elevators.
3. SUNLIGHT– Sunlight is also a natural serotonin booster. Make sure you are being sun smart however!
4. MASSAGE – Much like exercise, massages decreases the stress hormone cortisol, it also increases serotonin and dopamine (happy hormones), instantly improving your mood.
5. Reduce or quit sugar – This is a tricky one. I hear you all say but sugar makes me happy, right? This is because sugar causes a surge in the hormone dopamine which gives the feeling of a high. However, this only lasts for a short while before eventually, a crash occurs. Dopamine will send a message to the brain wanting another surge so you eat more sugar and thus addiction is created. This leads to fluctuating moods of low and high. Giving up sugar will re-establish the hormonal equilibrium in your brain and thus reduce these drastic changes in your mood.
6. Boost your vitamin C intake – low levels of vitamin c can lead to sluggishness and fatigue. Boosting your levels may help boost your energy levels and your mood. Check out this list of foods containing Vitamin C
7. Smile more – sounds silly right? The act of smiling however actually activates neural messaging in your brain, releasing those happy hormones dopamine and serotonin!
GET THOSE HAPPY HORMONES PUMPING!
For more helpful blogs by Mingle Mumma see here